In 1980, ownership decreased once again leaving only four of the original founding members to carry on the lobster suppers’ tradition. These owners were: William & Thelma Nicholson and Sterling & Jean MacRae, all of whom are still the owners today.
A record was made with the number of people who ate at the restaurant. During one week alone the average crowed per day was 1250 people. During that very same week New Glasgow Lobster Suppers experienced their largest day to date, serving 1470 people in one day.
The first inland lobster pound was established using wooden tanks. The following year the wooden tanks were switched to fiberglass tanks. Being inland and lobsters requiring salt water, special accommodations had to be made. Water would be hauled from the nearby harbor and held in an underground tank that was refrigerated and circulated throughout the […]
In 1974, an expansion was made that enabled the hall to seat up to 400 people. The ribbon cutting ceremonies were held and the expansion was officially opened by Premier Alex Campbell, Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau and his wife Margaret – as a personal favor to Ralph Dickieson (co-owner).
Twelve of the founding Junior Farmers purchased the ownership and began a new stage, no longer a fundraiser but a business.